|Some data is locked away|
Here are key properties of the data in the Microsoft case:
- Email account for user in Europe
- Data is stored close to user location by design, in this case Europe. The location is determined based on user input during signup for the service.
- The data usually is not moved during the account lifetime, but stays in the data center or region.
- Email account for user in USA
- The user does not know about the data location.
- Data is moved between data centers in a process transparent to the user. The data could even be split into chunks stored in multiple data centers.